This month, please join us in celebrating the accomplishments of our Hispanic community!
Did You Know?
- Hispanic Heritage Week observance started under President Lyndon Johnson in 1968 and was expanded by President Ronald Reagan in 1988 to cover a 30 day period from September 15 to October 15.
- In 1565, Spanish explorer Pedro Menéndez de Avilés established the first European settlement in the land later to be known as the United States.
- Jose Manuel Gallego was the first Hispanic of Mexican descent elected as a Territorial Delegate to Congress.
- Hispanic inventors invented color tv, CAPTCHA, the modern day ballpoint pen, and oral contraceptives.
- Today , more than 136,000 Hispanic soldiers serve in the US military and 60 have won the Me dal of Honor, the country’s highest military award.
- The US Hispanic population is 59.9 million (as of July 2018), making people of Hispanic origin the nation’s largest ethnic or racial minority at 18.3%.
- Hispanic workers are the fastest growing labor force in the United States.
United Farm Workers Founder
|Dr. Ellen Ochoa|
1st Hispanic woman to leave Earth’s atmosphere
1st Latina Supreme Court Justice in US history
One of the most famous educators in American history